Finland to withdraw from anti-personnel mine ban treaty

Prime Minister Petteri Orpo said a fundamentally changed security environment in Europe prompted the decision by Finland -- a NATO member bordering Russia -- to pull out of the 1997 Ottawa Treaty.

"Finland and Europe need to evaluate all measures to strengthen our deterrence and defence capabilities, individually and in NATO," Orpo said at a press conference.

"We also propose that Finland starts to prepare for withdrawal from the Ottawa agreement," he added.

The announcement comes two weeks after four other NATO countries on the military alliance's eastern flank -- Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia -- took a first step towards also quitting the treaty.


All pointed to the increased security threat from Russia.

Read Full Article Here
 
Petteri Orpo by is licensed under flickr

Follow us

Read our latest news on any of these social networks!

Get latest news delivered daily!

We will send you breaking news right to your inbox


Have a tip? Let us know!

Recent Articles

  • by:
  • Source: NY Post
  • 04/03/2025
...
Alaska Airlines flight forced to evacuate due to smelly fumes in cockpit

A Las Vegas-bound Alaska Airlines flight was forced to suddenly land and evacuate passengers in Portland, Ore. Wednesday, when a “strong odor” was detected in the plane’s cockpit, officials said.

...
FAA increasing air traffic control staff, supervisors at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport

FAA to also review 'disproportionately concentrated' arrival rates at DCA

  • by:
  • Source: NBC News
  • 04/02/2025
...
NYC Mayor Eric Adams' corruption case is dismissed

A federal judge dismissed the charges at the request of the Justice Department, which had argued that the case distracted from Adams' ability to enact Trump's immigration agenda.

  • by:
  • Source: CNN
  • 04/02/2025
...
Trump’s attempt to revamp elections with proof of citizenship requirement challenged in court

Democratic groups and non-partisan organizations separately sued Monday over an executive order targeting election procedures signed last week by President Donald Trump, kicking off a court fight over Trump’s attempt to unilaterally revamp how elections are run.